Make a Donation
  • English

Chancellor for Civil Affairs

The Chancellor for Civil Affairs serves as the Archbishop's attorney and represents the Archdiocese in civil legal matters, and offers legal (civil) advice to the diocesan bishop and parishes on a variety of issues from property law to employment law.



If you or someone you know has been the victim of ministry-related sexual misconduct:

- Call civil authorities. If you suspect abuse of a minor, your first call should be to civil authorities. (Contact information by county is in the linked document.) 

- Call the Advisor/Advocate Coordinator. The current coordinator of advisor/advocacy services is Ms. Greta Sawyer. Her telephone number is (651)-291-4497 or you can send an email. As an advocate/advisor, she does not intervene with clergy herself, but she will help you make further connections. You may be unsure about whether you wish to bring a complaint. If you wish, you can give a general description of your concern to Ms. Sawyer without giving your name or the name of the clergyman in question. She will describe how the Archdiocese would be able to respond. You can then decide whether to make a formal complaint. 

- Call the Chancery. You may also call our chancery offices at (651) 291-4400. Please ask to speak either with the vicar general or the chancellor for civil affairs or you can contact the chancellor by email.

The Archdiocese of Saint Paul and Minneapolis complies with Article 4 of the Charter for the Protection of Children and Young People, which requires dioceses to report an allegation of sexual abuse of a person who is a minor to the public authorities, to comply with all applicable civil laws with respect to the reporting of allegations of sexual abuse of minors to civil authorities, and to cooperate in their investigation in accord with the law of the jurisdiction in question.

The Archdiocese of Saint Paul and Minneapolis also cooperates with public authorities regarding the reporting of cases even when the person is no longer a minor.

In every instance, the Archdiocese of Saint Paul and Minneapolis advises victims of their right to make a report to public authorities and supports this right.