Even before Minnesota was a state, St. Patrick was a parish. In 1856, Bishop Crétin established a mission parish in the township of Inver Grove in a log cabin church. In 1867, a modern wood frame church was constructed at a cost of $6000. The church was situated on the grounds of the present cemetery, on a low hill overlooking the prairie.
On October 19, 1919, fire claimed both the church and the rectory. The church was not rebuilt at that time. Parishioners scattered to neighboring parishes. The parish never officially dissolved, however, because the cemetery was still in use. In 1959, the Franciscan Fathers of the Immaculate Conception Province from Hollidaysburg, Pennsylvania, came to staff the parish. Sunday Masses were temporarily held at the Inver Grove School until ground was broken for an 828-seat worship space in 1961. The Franciscan Fathers left St. Patrick in January 1996, due to the declining numbers of priests available in their order; thus, Archdiocesan priests returned to staff the parish. Groundbreaking ceremonies for the construction of the present church took place in 2001. The first Mass, a wedding, was celebrated on June 29, 2002. The worship space, inspired by the Rock of Cashel with clinker brick textured stonework, seats 1,200, and the chapel seats 100. The previous worship space became Shamrock Social Hall, thus allowing functions of more than 300 people to enjoy the beautiful stained-glass windows to this day.