Encounter Christ. Discover yourself. Grow in holiness.
A Roman Catholic apostolate for men and women who experience same-sex attractions and those who love them
“These men and women testify to the power of grace, the nobility and resilience of the human heart.” – Cardinal Robert Sarah
Courage members are men and women who experience same-sex attractions and who have made a commitment to strive for chastity. They are inspired by the Gospel call to holiness and the Catholic Church’s beautiful teachings about the goodness and inherent purpose of human sexuality.
Through this apostolate, people who experience same-sex attraction receive pastoral support in the form of spiritual guidance, community prayer support, and fellowship
“Love and sacrifice are closely linked, like the sun and the light. We cannot love without suffering and we cannot suffer without love.” – Saint Gianna Beretta Molla
EnCourage members are parents, spouses, sibling and friends of people who identify as LGBTQ. They are looking for help to keep the faith and keep their family bonds intact.
EnCourage members work together to understand the experiences of their loved ones, and to respond to them with compassion. They know that it is possible to express love for someone even if we can’t support all of their choices or actions. They find spiritual guidance to grow in their relationship with Christ, and community support from other members that helps them remember that they are not alone on this journey.
5 Goals of Courage
The Five Goals were created by the members themselves, when Courage was founded. The goals are read at the start of each meeting and each member is called to practice them in daily life. Here are the Goals in their entirety:
- To live chaste lives in accordance with the Roman Catholic Church’s teaching on homosexuality (Chastity);
- To dedicate our entire lives to Christ through service to others, spiritual reading, prayer, meditation, individual spiritual direction, frequent attendance at Mass, and the frequent reception of the sacraments of Reconciliation and Holy Eucharist (Prayer and Dedication);
- To foster a spirit of fellowship in which we may share with one another our thoughts and experiences, and so ensure that no one will have to face the problems of homosexuality alone (Fellowship);
- To be mindful of the truth that chaste friendships are not only possible but necessary in a chaste Christian life; and to encourage one another in forming and sustaining these friendships (Support);
- To live lives that may serve as good examples to others (Good Example/Role Model).
5 Goals of EnCourage
In recognition of the irreplaceable role of the family in attaining an understanding of the experience of same-sex attractions and embracing a life of chastity, EnCourage was founded. As an apostolate of Courage, and flowing from its central purpose, EnCourage provides pastoral care to family members and friends of persons who identify as LGBTQ. Here are the Five Goals of EnCourage:
- To grow spiritually through spiritual reading, prayer, meditation, individual spiritual direction, frequent attendance at Mass, and the frequent reception of the Sacraments of Penance and Holy Eucharist;
- To gain a deeper understanding of the needs, difficulties, and challenges experienced by men and women with SSA;
- To establish and maintain a healthy and wholesome relationship with their loved ones with SSA;
- To assist other family members and friends to reach out with compassion and truth, and not to reject, their loved ones with SSA;
- To witness to their loved ones by their own lives that fulfillment is to be found in Jesus Christ through His Body, the Church.